Thursday, October 12, 2017

Review : Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley

Thursday, October 12, 2017
Title : Words in Deep Blue
Author : Cath Crowley
Genre : YA contemporary
Release Date : August 30th, 2016
Publisher : Pan Australia

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

This is a love story.
It's the story of Howling Books, where readers write letters to strangers, to lovers, to poets.
It's the story of Henry Jones and Rachel Sweetie. They were best friends once, before Rachel moved to the sea. 
Now, she's back, working at the bookstore, grieving for her brother Cal and looking for the future in the books people love, and the words they leave behind.


When I first start blogging back in 2014, I often heard about Cath Crowley and one of her book, Graffiti Moon, despite it being released years ago. But for some reason, I'm never interested to pick it up. Now years later, I decide to try her newest book, Words in Deep Blue, and let's just say I finally understand why people praise her books often.

Words in Deep Blue is about a lot of things. It's about a bookstore, Howling Books, which has a Letter Library, a place for someone to write and leave letters inside a book. It's about friendship between Henry Jones and Rachel Sweetie. It's about first love, first heartbreak and second chances. It's about grief after losing someone you love, and how to overcome it. While it may sound confusing since this book covers a lot of topics, believe me, it's not. Cath wove her words and story till somehow, all of these topics became one.

I couldn't write this review without mentioning how beautiful Cath's words are. Told in dual POVs between Henry and Rachel, Words in Deep Blue is filled with stunning metaphors and prose, without exceeding it that it looks like a poetry. While I admit there are some words I don't understand, it didn't ruin the plot at all.

Overall, I really really recommend this book to all of you. It's one of those books that can't be explained, but you have to read it yourself in order to understand it. It's also one of those books that succeed in making me cry (which is very rare, I should add). Words in Deep Blue may be my very first Cath Crowley's book, but it definitely won't be the last.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bookish Thought © 2014