Sunday, January 3, 2016

Review : Made You Up by Fransesca Zappia

Sunday, January 3, 2016
Title : Made You Up
Author : Fransesca Zappia
Genre : YA contemporary
Release Date : May 19th, 2015
Publisher : Greenwillow Books

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal. 


Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.



If you're a book blogger or love to read a book blog, then you at least have heard about this book. I must admit, the first thing that made me want to read this book is because the number of positive reviews I've read. So I decide to try it, and boy, I'm so glad I read it!

Alexandra Ridgemont--or Alex--has a schizophrenia. In case you didn't know, schizophrenia is a mental illness which cause hallucination. Sometimes, it's clear that the hallucination weren't real, but the other times, the hallucination looks really real, and it could be dangerous. Armed with her camera, Magic 8 Ball, and her sister Charlie, this book follows Alex as she moves to a new school and meet her childhood "friend", Miles.

Both Alex and Miles are an interesting characters for me. I rarely read a book where the main characters has schizophrenia, so her character is refreshing to me. Also, after I read this book, it made me more understand how hard it is to have schizophrenia. As for Miles, well, he's definitely not your typical YA guys. In fact, when we were first introduced to him, he's more like a jerk and asshole. But, the more I read about him, he became more likeable, and by the time I finished it, you can say that Miles is my next book boyfriend! He's definitely not perfect--he even has a disability, too--but one thing that I love about him is his willingness to sacrifice anything, including his pride, to the person he loves most.

 The romance in this book is definitely my faves. Even if I didn't ship them from the beginning, by the time I finished this book, they're one of my OTPs. They're not perfect, but Alex and Miles help each other deal with their disability. Here are some of my favorite quotes :

“What you loved as a child, you will love forever.” 

“I am real. This”–he put his other hand over the first-“is real. You see me interacting with other people all day long, don’t you? I talk to people; I affect things in the world. I cause things to happen. I am real.”

“I pushed myself back up. He kept staring at me. I realized I wanted to kiss him.
I didn't know why. Maybe it was the way he looked at me like I was the only thing he wanted to look at.” 

Captivating and heart-warming, Made You Up is a book that you must read. It's not just about romance, there's even some mystery and a little twist in the ending!


14 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSS I ABSOLUTELY ADOREEEE MADE YOU UP AND CHESSIE IS MY CHEESE BFF ;) And yes. Miles is just amazing (butyoucan'thavehimbecausehe'smineALLMINE)

    Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY SO GLAD YOU LOVE IT TOO! BUT NOO HE'S MINE TOOO ;)

      Delete
  2. I've heard such great things about this story. It's a book I really want to get to this year. I love the sound of the main character and I'm always up for an adorable love interest.
    Lovely review, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should read it this year, Nick! You wouldn't regret it :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that the hype around this book didn't affect your reading experience!! You're totally right, I feel like you have to be living under a rock (or living without the Internet- same thing, right? ;)) for you to not have heard about this book. It's a reason I've been hesitant to pick it up, I'll be honest, because hype isn't typically a good thing for me. But after reading this review I'm so much more reassured!! The main character sounds incredibly unique, and I love how she's dealing with a mental disorder- that surely couldn't have been easy to write. The romance sounds so adorable! I love the quotes you chose, ahh <33

    Fabulous, fabulous review, Tiffany! :D I'll definitely be picking this one up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta admit, at first I was afraid to pick it up too, but then I got curious because many people seems to love it. You should read it, Aneeqah! And thanks <33

      Delete
  4. I love reading books like this, but I must admit I was worried about its take on Schizophrenia. Thanks for the review, I'd check out this book soon since it seems to have been written well :)

    Joan @ Fiddler Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book describes schizophrenia well (I only knew a little about it, though). You should try it, Joan!

      Delete
  5. YASSSSS THIS BOOK. HANDS DOWN ONE OF MY TOP 2 FAVE BOOKS OF 2015. I reread only recently and it was still freaking amazing.

    Lovely review, hun <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAY! I think I'm going to reread it too sometimes in 2016. Thanks Mel <3

      Delete
  6. I'm so inlove with your blog right now ! *heart eyes* Thank you for signing up for the blog hop. I also literally want to read this book now because of your review !

    Meleika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meleika! You definitely should read it!

      Delete
  7. Gosh, this is one of my favorite books ever! This was the first schizophrenia book that I read, and I absolutely loved it!

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so much about this book as well! I'm glad I stumbled upon this review! I'll definitely have to read this book very soon!

    ReplyDelete

The Bookish Thought © 2014